This vacancy has now closed to new applicants, if you like to be kept informed of other opportunities we have then why not register for our Talent Banks:
We have a rare opportunity for a Coroners Officer to join our team.
Our team consisting of 6 Coroners Officers’ and 1 Senior Coroners Officer is small but covers a wide area of Avon and Somerset.
You will be investigating and administering, promptly and exhaustively, all sudden, un-natural deaths and treasure trove, which occur within the Coroners area of jurisdiction, working in conjunction with and on behalf of the Coroner and the Police.
You will be gathering evidence for any unnatural, unexplained or unexpected deaths that occur which will assist the coroner in making decisions.
When you are not working from home a designated office space can be provided at our main office at the Coroner’s Court or the public mortuary which is situated at Flax Bourton.
In this role your Main Responsibilities will be:-
- Receiving reports of sudden and/ un-natural deaths, especially those which may have occurred in suspicious circumstances.
- Notifying the Coroner of all cases making sure that he/ she is informed of all relevant details; liaising with Detectives if there is any possibility of criminal investigation.
- Establishing the deceased’s medical history, obtaining witness statements from family and friends and discussing the case with the family doctor to establish whether a certificate for the causes of death can be issued.
- Arranging for the body to be removed to the mortuary, taking possession of the deceased’s property and cataloguing the details, organising a post mortem, identifying the body to the Pathologist ensuring he/ she is aware of the circumstances of the death and taking possession of any organ/ sample taken by the Pathologist to enable HM Coroner to arrange analysis.
- Assisting with urgent enquiries from medical organisations for consent to take organs for transplant purposes by obtaining authorisation from H.M. Coroner.
Skills, Experience and Qualifications required:-
- Experience of dealing with deaths, inquests and attending post mortems
- Experience of working within an investigative environment
- Ability to be patient and sensitive
- Knowledge of medical terms and pathological terms and findings
- Knowledge of legal matters relating to deaths such as registration of deaths
To be eligible to apply for this role you must have a 3 year ‘checkable history’ in the UK – ideally this means that you would have been resident in the UK for the last 3 years.
Does this sound like the role for you? Click the link below to apply.
Diversity is a strength and individuality is an asset.
We recognise the benefit different life experience and perspectives can bring.
We are on a journey to become the most inclusive police force in the country.
Click the video link below to see why our colleagues feel they can "Be the Difference"
Avon and Somerset Police encourage flexible working where operationally possible.
This role has been identified as a blended role.
The successful candidate for this role will have the opportunity to work from home whilst also at a secondary work location, which will be a police premises. The successful applicant will have the option to discuss working arrangements with their line manager. All applicants must reside within the UK.
Important information before you commence an application (for external applicants)
You will require the following detail to complete this application form:
- National Insurance Number
- Identification Detail e.g. passport
- Address information including proof
- Referee information
- Full employment history including dates and any qualifications you may have attained
- Tattoos - you will also be requested to provide photos and describe of any visible tattoos you have
If the role requires you to drive you will also be required to upload details from your full driving licence including photos.
Important information before you commence an application- for ALL applicants
The application system only remains active on a single page for a period of 60 minutes.
Please ensure you allow time to complete your application fully as part complete pages do not save.
If the role has evidence questions you may wish to save these remotely and paste your answers into the boxes at time of submission.
This vacancy is closed to applications.