Senior Portfolio Manager
This vacancy has now closed to new applicants, if you like to be kept informed of other opportunities we have then why not register for our Talent Banks:
Senior Portfolio Manager - £64,264 - £65,497 (including market supplement)
Are you an experienced project and programme professional, looking for a leadership role where you can really make a difference?
Avon and Somerset Police has a vacancy for a Principal Delivery Lead for our Digital Portfolio. As a core member of the IT Directorate Senior Leadership Team, you will be responsible for the delivery of a digital change portfolio of over 120 projects and budget of circa £8m, delivering solutions to colleagues within the organisation and to the public we serve.
We are looking for a strong leader with experience of project, programme and portfolio delivery in an IT setting. If you are a strategic thinker, who can motivate a team, drive continuous improvement and ensure that our digital change portfolio delivers results for the organisation and the communities we serve - then this role is for you.
You will be joining an IT directorate of over 120 staff. You will be part of the Digital and Projects department - a friendly and welcoming group of professionals who exist to innovate and improve the digital experiences of colleagues within Avon and Somerset, as well as the public that we serve.
You will lead a project and programme delivery team of up to 20 people, including project managers, delivery managers and a portfolio office function. The team delivers a diverse range of projects that range from ensuring our technical infrastructure is fit for purpose, through to digital, user-centric projects that have a direct impact on the capacity and capability of frontline policing colleagues and the service they provide.
Our IT Directorate is based at the beautiful Police and Fire Headquarters in Portishead, with free parking and range of on-site facilities. We work very flexibly however, and the role can largely be performed from home (some travel within the force area may be required to meet with colleagues when needed).
Key Responsibilities (see role profile for full details):
- Lead a team of project, programme and portfolio management professionals – fostering a culture of continuous improvement and professional development.
- Provide professional leadership in the areas of programme and project delivery - ensuring projects are managed effectively, according to common standards, and deliver designed outcomes.
- Lead on our engagement with national projects and programmes – working closely with external stakeholders (e.g. Home Office, Police Digital Service etc) to ensure Avon and Somerset keeps pace with national changes and is able to deliver in line with the national Policing Digital, Data and Technology strategy.
- Ensure an enterprise view is taken on project and programmes, and that the portfolio is balanced and prioritised in line with agreed architectural principles and roadmaps.
What we are looking for:
- A skilled negotiator and influencer with a proven track record of building and maintaining effective relationships with colleagues, internal and external stakeholders and commercial / third party suppliers
- Experience of leading strong multi-disciplinary/cross-functional teams in a mature IT environment
- Experience of leading and delivering IT / Digital change projects and programmes, managing large budgets and ensuring efficient resource utilisation
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to utilise a range of channels, adapt styles to suit a variety of situations and ensure complex matters are articulated clearly.
- Experience of using and applying a wide range of industry standard change/project/programme management methodologies including waterfall and agile approaches would be advantageous.
This is a complex and fascinating organisation, where no two days are the same – so if that sounds like the sort of environment you can thrive, then we’d love to hear from you!
Please be aware: the basic salary for this role is £55,698 - £57,201, with an additional market supplement payment of £8,296 (subject to annual review)
If you have any questions about the role or would like an informal chat before applying, then please contact us at ITPMO@avonandsomerset.police.uk.
Diversity is a strength and individuality is an asset.
We recognise the benefit different life experience and perspectives can bring.
We are on a journey to become the most inclusive police force in the country.
Click the video link below to see why our colleagues feel they can "Be the Difference"
Avon and Somerset Police encourage flexible working where operationally possible.
This role has been identified as a blended role.
The successful candidate for this role will have the opportunity to work from home whilst also at a secondary work location, which will be a police premises. The successful applicant will have the option to discuss working arrangements with their line manager. All applicants must reside within the UK.
Important information before you commence an application (for external applicants)
You will require the following detail to complete this application form:
- National Insurance Number
- Identification Detail e.g. passport
- Address information including proof
- Referee information
- Full employment history including dates and any qualifications you may have attained
- Tattoos - you will also be requested to provide photos and describe of any visible tattoos you have
If the role requires you to drive you will also be required to upload details from your full driving licence including photos.
Important information before you commence an application- for ALL applicants
The application system only remains active on a single page for a period of 60 minutes.
Please ensure you allow time to complete your application fully as part complete pages do not save.
If the role has evidence questions you may wish to save these remotely and paste your answers into the boxes at time of submission.
This vacancy is closed to applications.